Recreate the vegan version of your favorite egg salad sandwich in less than 10 minutes. This Vegan Egg Salad gets its “eggy” taste from black salt and makes for a quick, tasty lunch!
Growing up, egg salad sandwiches were a favorite of mine. It’s been more than three years ago since I last had eggs, but this vegan egg salad sure is a nice way to enjoy the same eggy taste without the cruelty.
It’s certainly been a hit in my house. My fiance was convinced this vegan egg salad tasted very close to the original.
With spring well underway and Easter creeping up, I figured it was the perfect time to share this recipe (sidenote…how is it April already?!)
Anyway, let’s make vegan egg salad!
Vegan Egg Salad Ingredients
- Tofu is an important source of protein and serves as the base for this vegan egg salad. I typically use extra firm tofu, but a medium-firm tofu is ideal here for a more egg-like texture. I use a tofu press to draw the water out, but you can put it on a plate and place something really heavy on it like a cast-iron skillet to extract the water.
- Celery adds a nice, crunchy texture. Plus, it has plenty of anti-inflammatory health benefits.
- Dill pickle gives the egg salad a tangy flavor with some more crunch. I personally love pickles, but if you’re not a fan you can totally leave it out.
- Vegan mayo makes up the base for the sauce and gives the salad its creamy consistency.
- Dijon mustard gives the salad some bite and adds a little bit of yellow in addition to the turmeric.
- Black salt, aka kala namak, is an extremely important ingredient. This type of salt gives the egg salad an eggy, sulphuric taste. I don’t suggest skipping it! You can purchase it on Amazon for pretty cheap.
- Turmeric provides a pretty yellow color similar to traditional egg salad.
How to Make Vegan Egg Salad in 5 Easy Steps
I love that this salad is so easy to throw together. It also makes a decent amount that you can use throughout the week to make a quick sandwich.
- In a medium bowl, crumble the tofu using the back of a fork, leaving a few small chunks for varied texture.
- Add diced celery and pickle and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayo, dijon mustard, black salt, turmeric, and black pepper.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to mix well.
- Slather the egg salad onto your favorite bread and serve with lettuce and tomato (optional). Enjoy!
As always, if you make this recipe, please let me know what you think by rating it or commenting below. And if you share on Instagram, be sure to tag me @plantedpurpose + #plantedpurpose. I love seeing your takes on my recipes!
Vegan Egg Salad
- 14 ounces medium-firm tofu, pressed
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup dill pickle, finely diced
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon black salt (Kala Namak)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, to garnish
In a medium bowl, use the back of a fork to crumble the tofu. Add celery and pickle. Combine the ingredients and set aside.
In a small bowl, add mayonnaise, dijon mustard, black salt, turmeric, and black pepper. Stir ingredients together to mix well.
Add wet ingredients to crumbled tofu mixture and stir to combine until all ingredients are incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve on your favorite bread with lettuce and enjoy!